[AWS] Deploying an AWS program

Jacob Sparre Andersen sparre at nbi.dk
Wed Jun 23 11:07:22 CEST 2004

Kevin Andrew Lipscomb wrote:

> I am brand new to AWS and find it very promising.  I want
> to use it to develop various web applications that must be
> publicly available on the Internet.  But I do not run (or
> wish to run) my own web host.  I just have a home machine
> with a DSL connection and a dynamic IP address.

Such a line can actually pull quite a bit (as long as you
aren't slashdotted), although the dynamic IP address will be
a pain.  Our local Linux user group in the Øresund Region
(slightly less than 6,000 members) has below 0.5 kbit/s
traffic in typical situations.  And less than 3.0 kbit/s in
spikes [1].

> Because I envision uploading my AWS applications to
> professionally-run host, the way I do with my PHP scripts,
> or say, a CGI program or a Java servlet, I am also
> thinking it should be possible to upload an AWS
> application to a professionally-run host.

> But what minimum requirements should I look for when I
> pick a professionally-run host for my AWS applications?
> How do I deploy my AWS applications to such a host?

Although it technically isn't necessary, I think you will
have to rent a dedicated host.  I don't think there are any
hosting facilities that allow you to run your own services
otherwise.  But a set-up with a virtual host/FreeBSD jail
per AWS and Apache running in front as a proxy redirecting
the requests to the appropriate virtual hosts should work.

I would try to contact a company like Pair Networks [2], to
hear if they have a suitable solution.  I haven't dealt with
Pair myself, but those of my friends who use their server
facilities are very happy with them.  And it is my
impression that they have the knowledge to suggest an
appropriate solution for your problem.

Jacob

[1] <http://www.sslug.dk/bb-cgi/larrd-grapher.cgi?host=www.sslug.dk&service=netstat&disp=www%2esslug%2edk&graph=hourly>
[2] <http://www.pair.com/>
--
"Human beings just can't not communicate."