[AWS] Ming and Ada Web Server have some similarities in issues

David Marceau davidmarceau@sympatico.ca
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:14:12 -0500

Take for example in the AWS mailing list the other day someone asked
about turning cache off in the browser.
Here is the answer posted on the ming mailing list by the ming guru
himself who also happens to know how to use XMLSocket in FLASH.

Some of the mechanisms presented in ming could be helpful in AWS when
talking xml.

Wolfgang Hamann wrote:

> >> loadVariablesNum("http://electroteque.dyndns.org:1023/xml/flash.php?cacheDef
> >> eat=getTimer()",0);
> >> _root.myText where myText is the textfield var
> >>

> could be
> loadVariablesNum("http://electroteque.dyndns.org:1023/xml/flash.php?cacheDefeat="+getTimer(), 0)
> but it is probably better to add

> header('Cache-control: no-cache');
> header('Pragma: no-cache');
Here it is :)

> to the php
>
> >> i have tried this
> >>
> >> <?
> >> for ($i=0;$i < 10;$i++) {
> >>      echo "varText=$i";
> >>      flush();
> >>      sleep(1);
> >> }
> >> ?>
> >>
> Even if the webserver does not cache data before sending, flash will wait for the complete
> message (and therefore receive value 9)
> So, in order to get current info, you have to read the data every so often (or use a socket
> connection instead of loading variables)
>
> Wolfgang

The other similarity is that they are both targeted for serving web
stuff via http and xml.

Another interesting point is the streaming frame by frame that flash
does via xmlsocket could be useful for streaming in AWS with xml.

As I may have mentioned before IMHO I think the more advanced guis are
all being developed in flash including those for cell phones/pdas.
I may be wrong but there is something to learn from flash architecture
that could be reapplied rewritten in ada as an ada flash player along
with ada web server serving streamed flash media which contains
dynamically generated:
sound, animation, film, data from SQL, data from object databases, data
from gps, data from 3d presentations.
Why ada flash player?  The current flash player does crap out especially
when it contains lots of 3d data and lots of actors.
This is room for an opportunity to build a crash proof ada flash player.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
David Marceau