[AWS] Still curious ;-)

Pascal Obry p.obry@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:36:55 +0200

Preben Randhol writes:

 > Therefore my question is:
 >
 > 1) Should I make my own server to do the communication?

You can, but what is the gain ? I would use AWS/SOAP or GLADE (which has
for more features). For light communication you can also use the
AWS.Communication.[Client|Server] API.

But I think the best way would be SOAP (Open API). You publish the API then
another project written in whatever language will be able to play with your
game.

 > 2) Would it be better to use AWS? (OK, a bit rhetorical here I guess,
 >    but what are the advantages)

Of course ! :-)

 > 3) How hard would it be to setup AWS for a user? I mean if I make a
 >    static version of the game for those who just want to play, how hard
 >    would it be for them to set up AWS and run it?

You have nothing to do. No setup at all (this is a nice win from AWS, you
can embedded everything into your program). You would provide a GtkAda
dialog to set the server name for distant player and decide to be either
joining a game (client) or creating a new one (server).

 > Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

 > Preben who hears that the printer just finished. God natt! (Good night)

If you have proposal to "fix" the manual do not hesitate. This is by far the
weakest point of AWS :)

Pascal.

--|