[AWS] Soap, a replacement for Corba?

Pascal Obry p.obry@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 22:19:24 +0200

Jeremy,

 > I am curious how Soap compares to Corba, not in functionality, but in
 > programming and especially in speed.

It depends on the implementation. SOAP is very simple so I would expect to
have SOAP implementation as fast or faster than CORBA implementation. In CORBA
a lot of more things has to be done...

 > but I am wondering if Soap via AWS would be a better way of doing it:

Certainly, but maybe I'm a bit biased :)

 > GUI (GtkAda) -> (internet via Soap) -> AWS server product -> PostgreSQL

Of course here you want to use GNADE.

 > The reason I am interested is in this is that #1 I can use SSL via the
 > Internet link (which will soon (Sep 2002) be mandated by US gov for all
 > medical information via public network) and #2, a cross platform, cross
 > language protocol.

And SOAP/HTTP+SSL can pass firewalls.

 > Can anyone give me input?

Done :)