[AWS] Question: Can opening more than the number of allowed sessions break aws?

David Marceau davidmarceau@sympatico.ca
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 00:50:47 -0400

Hi there,

I have been getting some abnormal activity on my machine.
I don't know if they have succeeded in the past but this ip address
65.33.209.229
originating from Herndon Virgina
was attacking my machine at the udp level at port 80.  I used iptraf to
confirm this.

Nothing was appearing in the aws log about this activity
however when I look at the Admin-Page I can see the same IP at all the
different 40 sessions.
The other thing I could see on the Admin-Page was that there were more
than 40 session id's.
There were actually 76 session id's alive.  I gather this is normal.
Right?
Is there a chance of crapping out aws with too many sessions.
I don't believe so since this person did hit the 40 simultaneous
connection barrier but the number of alive session id's is 76.

Going back to my question:  is there a risk this person will succeed in
breaking aws with this kind of attack?

Until then I placed this IP in my /etc/hosts.deny :)

Thanks :)